Thursday, June 19, 2008

The MHZS CD 88

I would love to talk to you about the MHZS CD 88. How transparent it is. How it is one of the few tube CD players out there with tube rectification that smooths the transients, and once properly broken in, (could take several weeks folks) ,it is capable, for the money, of some great CD sound. We have been selling the MHZS line since 2005. We have sold many, many units. They are hard to pick up on the used market. Everything was going so well, then suddenly......

Lamp - blasted.

You know who he is, just Google MHZS CD 88 and you will find him. When we were first Lampblasted (and I invented the word and coined phenomenon - right here, just now, see I did it) several of you sent us emails encouraging us to respond to rants going on via Head Fi or Audio Asylum. We opted not to, because there are several Fi'ers and inmates who have purchased the MHZS CD 88 and they will speak up - and sure enough they did.

But what about the phenomena a vendor experiences by being Lamp-blasted. Someone, sitting in a small room at a remote part of the world, can, without ever having purchased the product or had it shake the dust off a woofer cone, suddenly convince a few of us that, well ,it a piece of roach do-do.

Your emails were great, "He Sounds angry", "He has a bone to pick" etc. etc.

You can use boards to exchange information and give courteous detailed reviews or you can use it to "get even". When someone is using it to "get even" we should all perk your ears up and consider the source and most importantly, the motivation. Now, I obviously am biased, and I state this ad-nauseas. I am not going to defend the MHZS CD 88 or counter the rant. What I would like you to do, is to consider the following Lamp-blast that if were posted, would have kept me out of high end audio.

"Its some company out of, guess where, Minneapolis. Some small shop that I never heard of. The darn thing is a throw back to the 1950s, and guess what, it still uses tone controls!! The piece of Sh#$t thing even uses a loudness contour. Now, I ask you , how 'High End' can this thing be? Written on the front are the words, "High Definition Stereo Control" - with tone controls? Ha! do not make me laugh. Then I opened the thing up, it still uses those cheap 12AX7 tubes. What is worse, I saw a transistor in the power supply from 'Delco' - the car parts people. Well I bet it makes noise and hisses just like an old steam engine. .. and what about those people from Minneapolis? - nothing good can come out Minneapolis you know what Sinclair Lewis said"

And that my friends, is the canard that says its all. The MHZS CD 88 requires no defending and nor does the Audio Research SP3 or for that matter, the hard working ethical people of Minnesota.

All the best,

Vic

No comments: