Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The sound of Chips........

I was going to start with something really, well annoying: Chips Ahoy!, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Fish & Chips - well you get the picture.

What this BLOG is really all about is that converter chips, no matter what the DAC, have a certain sound. I'll walk through them with you.


Analogue Devices.

These DACs, found in DIYEDEN and the Lite DAC AM, DACs 39, DAC 68 and the Lite CD 15 CD player, have what we call a very "British" sound. Viz., the bass is often lean, kind of shy on the dynamics, wonderful lush tube-like mids, soft rolled off "Mullard" like highs. If configured right, you will get some "air" and "space" around instruments. The DAC AM modified does this as does the DAC 68. I never heard a bad CD through analogue devices chip (1852, 1853, specifically) Like wise, I never heard a great CD sound "great".

Burr Brown

Lets include the PCM 1704UK and the PCM1732. The DAC 60, DAC 60 modified, the DAC 62, the BADA CD player, the Shuguang CD Player and the DAC 38 all have this chip. This chip must be tamed otherwise it can sound quite garish in the highs. The HDCD rendition is absolutely stunning and worth getting one of these players if you can make a commitment to HDCD Discs. They have a more "American Sound" - the bass is deep and dynamic, the mids are detailed and trasparent. Properly configured, the chips can pull instruments away from each other and can image like a son of a gun. The DAC 62 and other folks who modify the DAC (Sonic Craft et. al) modify the DAC 60 and obtain this. The highs, if tamed are articulate. If the AD1853 is used for vocals and orchestra, the PCM1704UK can be used for rock, jazz.

Delta Sigma CS Series.

Found in the DOGE CD player and Musiland MD10. This so, far maybe the best of the bunch in terms of imaging, spatial coherence and midrange detail. Absolutely stunning in the DOGE and very nice in the Muisiland. The bass, however, needs work. It can be slightly fat as in the Doge to too pronounced below 60Hz and non-existent above 100 Hz as in the Musiland. In other words, the Doge is slightly bloated and the Musiland slightly lean. You will have to ask about this when you order or audition a digital device with a DS CS series chip.

That is it for now......

All the best,

Vic

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a Musiland MD10 and I wonder whether yours has been broken in. I find no lack of bass whatsoever in the Musiland. Of course I'm running my output into a Mapletree Ear+Purist headphone amplifier, which is quite good. And also for speakers through a Kenwood KA-7300 integrated amp. One of the best of the late 70's 'golden age of stereo' amps.

I find a nice airy sound with a controlled, rich, tight low end. If you like a rich, airy sound that can go low, I'd recommend the Musiland MD-10. But remember there are so many variables in each system that YMMV.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vic,
(First, sorry for my bad english)
Very interesting blog you have here, I've just stumble on it by google after a decent dac for my SqueezeboxV3. It seems to be a million different dac with a million different chips out there, and looking for the right one, is like fumbling in darkness for a newbe like me. Do you have a dac to recommend for my setup with Rotel/B&W? I can spend max 400USD.
(and again, sorry for my bad english :) )

Vic Trola said...

You can email Pacific Valve for recommendations or me: victrola@att.net